VAIDS

Monday, September 7, 2009

Nigerian barber Dreams

Dunga Obeche, 31, is one of the estimated 100m Nigerians struggling to live on less than $1 a day.

As he beds down in the cramped back room of Don P Barbers in Abuja with his colleagues each night, he dreams of being an international hairstylist, winning awards and receiving great plaudits.
“I’m trying to save money for my own barbers but it isn’t easy,” he says.

Gift
His name was shortened from Adunga to Dunga by team-mates, after a Brazilian footballer in the 1980s, but his dreams of playing professionally were soon swapped for something more realistic when he showed talent cutting hair.
“I wasn’t supported and I found I was also good at hairdressing – it’s a gift,” he says.

Poor man, rich man
“My plan is to get my own shop, but I need to find one year’s rent in advance. This means about 170,000 naira ($1,300) – then I can get married. “
“I know it is not realistic,” says Dunga, “but anything can happen, God willing.


Birthday break
But Dunga still manages to afford a few luxuries.
On Saturday night, Dunga is taking a short break from work to celebrate the 29th birthday of his fellow hairdresser and good friend Napoleon.
“We’ve worked together for eight years,” says Napoleon. “He gave me a card and bought me a brandy today,” he says.
Breakfast optional
This means he often has less than 100 naira a day to live on, although he does not pay rent.
He does not cook but buys garri (cassava porridge) and stew from roadside restaurants.
One bowl costs 50 naira, or 100 if there is meat in the stew.
"When I have money, I take breakfast because breakfast is not a must. 0-1-1 is fine for me," he says.

Barber talk
Customers like Sunday, a motorbike taxi driver, agrees. “Dunga barbers very well. If he went to work in Favours [a nearby rival] I’d go there.” “We talk. I just told him about how we came home late from a party last night and were chased by the police. It was scary.” Women problems often crop up. “For example, recently one guy told me he had cheated on his girlfriend and she was threatening to leave,” Dunga says. “I advised him to beg her to take him back."




Marriage plans
Dunga has a girlfriend and wants to marry but feels he should get on a more secure financial footing first.
But this is not easy. He has two brothers and four sisters - three of whom he supports while they are studying. This makes it impossible to save.
“It’s hard. As the eldest, I am responsible but it is difficult to move on. If I refused to help, my sisters would be thrown out of college."
Slum clearance
Dunga pays the salon owner 2,500 naira ($20) a week to work there – as do four other barbers. Anything he makes on top of that he keeps.
But in a big slum clearance operation in Abuja, Don P Barbers had to move from a busy area to an approved shopping area on a big housing estate – Gwarinpa.
“My takings have dropped from about 3,500 a week to 3,000 ($23.5) – so it’s got harder,” he said






Not voting
Surprisingly, he is not bitter that the Abuja mayor’s clean-up campaign has cut his income.
“The man is just doing his job,” he says.
He queued for three days to get registered in April's elections but eventually gave up – so he will not be voting in the polls.
He says he is sad to be missing out but he tried.





Grade 1 cut
Raymond, 30, is an IT student and has been getting his hair cut by Dunga for six years.
“Dunga does my hair very well. I get a grade 1 cut that costs me 100 naira (75 US cents)”
They have been discussing food – a common subject with students. If someone has had breakfast, lunch and dinner they say you are 1-1-1.
“Today is 1-0 – and we are waiting to see what the evening will bring,” says Raymond, as Dunga joins in with the laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO