VAIDS

Friday, June 27, 2014

What Has Kept Me Going for 25 Years As a Dj--Jimmy Jatt



Jimmy Adewale Amu a.k.a Dj Jimmy Jatt could best be described as a Disc jockey (DJ) with swag. He started his career in the entertainment industry as a budding rapper before delving into DJ business in the late 80s. In 1989, he debuted as a professional DJ, and today, after 25 years on the job, Jatt has every reason to recount his success story in the industry. In this interview, he speaks about his career, family and love life.

Why are you celebrating your 25th years as a DJ?
I HAVE been a DJ for 25 years. But I'm just celebrating my 25th years of being in the entertainment industry. I actually made up my mind in 1989 that I won't do anything else apart from becoming a DJ. And since then, I have not looked back. So, it's 25 years of my being a professional DJ. Really. 

I have been reluctant to celebrate this milestone. Most people around me know that I am not a loud person , but the only reason I was convinced to do this was because, its 25 years of relevance and consistency. There has not been an off day for me in the past 25 years. I have never been found wanting in the industry for the past 25 years. I hear a lot of people celebrate 10 to 15 years but within that period, there are times when they take a break for a couple of years. But in my own case, I have ever been present. I felt for once in my life that I should really celebrate my achievements.
 
How did you take the decision to become a professional DJ?
Being a DJ was something I developed passion for, when people felt it wasn't a lucrative job. People warn their kids to stay away from me simply because I was a DJ. But I took up the challenge to change the mindset of people as much as possible. Right now, DJs are being celebrated, and the emerging generation today can see that there is life as a DJ. If I have done it for 25 years, then what's more! It doesn't mean I am retiring. No, it means I am taking the profession to a higher level.

Before 1989, what were you doing?
Like I said, I've been doing DJ work before 1989. Some people would know me from the mid 80s when I was just a school boy at Obalende. I've never applied for any job in my life. Before 1989, it was between my education and and the DJ work. So, I've been a DJ for a long time such that I've never had time to think of any other thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO