VAIDS

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

‘Sex and the City’ costume designer Patricia Field closing store

That’s a wrap.
“Sex and the City” costume designer Patricia Field is closing her beloved Bowery bazaar after 50 funky and fabulous years.

“I know that my clients are going to be sad, because they come in and tell me that there’s no store like this in the world,” the 74-year-old fashion icon told the Daily News. “But I’ve gotta watch out for my health and myself.”


Patricia Field has been a fashion icon for 50 years.Caitlyn Jenner shopped at Patricia Field in June.
The native New Yorker responsible for making Manolo Blahnik and Oscar de la Renta household names by strapping them onto Carrie Bradshaw on “Sex and the City” revealed Monday that she is shuttering her 4,000-square-foot shop.
“I’ve enjoyed the game ... but I’m getting tired, because the store] has grown to such a size,” she said. “I want to open my social life back up, and go to the gym for a swim every day. I can’t do normal things anymore, and I’m feeling it.”
The fiery-haired Field opened her first store in the West Village in 1966 before moving to 10 E. Eighth St. in 1971, where she catered to fashionistas for 30 years. She bought her current shop at the Bowery between Bleecker and Houston Sts. in 2012, which is decked with pieces of her personal furniture and art collection, including a glittering rhinestone “disco shark” by Kevin McHugh.

But Blondie singer Debbie Harry and pop icons Beyonce and Miley Cyrus are her favorite A-list clients. Kelly Osbourne, Anne Hathaway, Avril Lavigne and Caitlyn Jenner also lead her list of celebrity regulars.
“When Beyonce was, like, a teenager and singing with Destiny’s Child, she used to come shop in the Eighth Street store with her mom,” Field reflected. “I’m going to miss my clients, the face-to-face time with them, the most. I make people look beautiful and feel happy, and I’ve been fortunate to make a career out of that.”

Her work on “Sex and the City” won her an Emmy in 2002 — and five nominations in a row. She also won an Emmy for “Ugly Betty” in 2009.
She currently styles Sutton Foster and Hilary Duff on the TV Land series “Younger,” where she is teamed up with “Sex and the City” director Darren Star once again. But Field said that she’s had to put a lot of other projects on hold while running her store.
“I’d like to make a movie with a friend of mine. I’ve had many offers to do a book, but we haven’t had the time,” she said. “So I don’t want to retire and just sit there - that’s not in my nature - but I really felt the need to simplify.”

She will shut down her store’s website and close its doors sometime in spring 2016, but Field fans have a few silver linings to look forward to - such as liquidation sales to unload her two floors of eclectic merch, including cotton candy-colored ostrich feather coats and hippopotamus-shaped purses .
“Come and help me get rid of all of it!” she laughs. “It’s a huge store, a huge job. I’m gonna need help.”
And while the fashion landmark may be disappearing for good, she’s interested in continuing to curate smaller collections for pop-up shops like the Dover Street Market location she opened last week.
“That would be fun to do pop-ups, absolutely,” she said. “We do have a brand identity that people know. And I really don’t want to make my clients sad.”
But even if they are, Field makes it clear that she created the store for herself and it’s hers to control.
“My purpose was to ... answer to no one but myself, to be independent,” she said in a statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO