Burberry has replaced Christopher Bailey as chief executive after a turbulent two years running the fashion company.
Marco Gobbetti, who runs French luxury label Celine, will take over the role, joining the FTSE 100 group in 2017.
Mr
Bailey will become president and remain chief creative officer - the
role he held before also taking on the position of chief executive.
Many
shareholders had been unhappy with Mr Bailey's performance as both
chief executive and chief creative officer and had called for change at
the top.
In May, the company reported a £29m fall in annual
pre-tax profits for the year to 31 March to £415.6m and said it expected
the "challenging environment for the luxury sector" would continue.
Burberry
chairman Sir John Peace Mr Bailey had done "an excellent job set
against a backdrop of challenging market conditions", but had
"identified the need for a new chief executive for the business who
could partner with him".

Burberry shares have lost more than a third of their value over the
past 12 months after sales in Asia - particularly Hong Kong - fell as
Chinese consumers reined in spending. About a third of Burberry sales
come from Asia.
Burberry said in May that it would reduce its product range and focus more on handbags in response to slowing sales.
'Collaborative partnership'
The
jump in the share price following the announcement to £12.18 puts the
stock on track for its best day in three years. Deutsche Bank raised its
price target from £12.50 to £13.50.
Mr Bailey said Mr Gobbetti's
experience and skills in luxury and retail would be invaluable: "We are
going to enjoy a wonderfully collaborative partnership that makes me
very excited for our future at Burberry."
Burberry has also
appointed Julie Brown, chief financial officer at Smith & Nephew, to
the new role of chief operating and financial officer.
The company is due to report on first-quarter trading on Wednesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment