VAIDS

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

“I’d wear it again.” - Teen who wears Chinese Dress Ripped for Cultural & Beauty Admiration and Appropriation

Keziah Daum, 18, who is not Asian, was stunned by the reaction to a photo of her in a red, high-collared cheongsam (also known as a qipao) she bought at a vintage-clothing store in Salt Lake City, the Washington Post reported.

“I thought (the dress) was absolutely beautiful,” she said, adding that it “really gave me a sense of
appreciation and admiration for other cultures and their beauty.”

Others had very different reactions, as the long-running debate about the different between appreciation and appropriation found fresh fuel. Katy Perry, Kylie Jenner, Karlie Kloss, Selena Gomez and Mylie Cyrus have all been drawn into the heated conversation.

“My culture is NOT your (expletive) prom dress,” Jeremy Lam tweeted.
He went on to explain the history of the qipao, which, he noted, “was originally a loose dress/garment without shape, made for Chinese women to clean the house and do other domestic chores with.”

He concluded in a final tweet, which has been retweeted more than 900 times that “In short: I’m proud of my culture, including the extreme barriers marginalized people within that culture have had to overcome those obstacles. For it to simply be subject to American consumerism and cater to a white audience, is parallel to colonial ideology.”
Lam wasn’t alone in his assessment. “you just don’t wear it if ur not. chinese … “it’s not something to play dress up with,” the Washington Post reported.

Critics were particularly inflamed by Daum posing with her hands in a prayer position.
On the other hand, Daum had defenders, including people who identified themselves as Chinese.
“I am a Chinese woman,” Ying Li, who posted on Twitter at @msyinseattle. “I am a Chinese woman. I support you,” she noted. “You rocked that dress!! I have an 18 year old daughter who just had her prom. She said people might be just jealous that you look awesome in that dress.”

Deam, whose Twitter followers increased dramatically in the wake of the social-media dressing down, tweeted that she meant “no harm.” She’s tried to take something from the experience by learing more about Chinese culture and history as well as about the pros and cons of social media, according to the Post.

Still, she is staunch about her freedom to wear what she wants.
“I don’t see the big deal of me wearing a gorgeous dress I found for my last prom,” she tweeted. “If anything, I’m showing my appreciation to other cultures and I didn’t intend to make anyone think that I’m trying to be racist. It’s just a dress.”

She added, “I’d wear it again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO