VAIDS

Monday, August 11, 2014

Advice I Wish Someone Had Given Me When I Started My First Job



I didn't start working too late, or too early in life. The two internships while in college, pointed me in the direction of an office instead of further studies, and once college ended, I embraced this desire with ease. Not once did the thought of doing a Masters in 'something, something' tempt me, even as I saw most of my classmates prepare for that path. I had studied all my life, and I was done.


After working for about five years, when I look back, I wish someone had guided me when I first started working - though I am not sure I would have listened! So here are a few words of wisdom from me, to the newly employed.

 

1. Lose the attitude: When recruiting freshers, most companies are looking for just one quality: the keenness to learn. It all really begins and ends here. No one likes a know-it-all, and even if you find someone who does, there is no way you will grow in your career if you don't want to learn. The first step to growing is admitting you know nothing. You don't have to admit it out loud, but the willingness to learn is an ability that will take you far. Maybe few years later, you will be an expert in that field - simply because you never stopped learning. A belief that hold true in your career and in life.

2. So you don't know what you're doing with your life: Newsflash! Most people don't! This is a scary feeling when you're straight out of college, but believe me, almost everyone feels this way. Heck, a lot of people end up trying to answer this question very late into their careers. It is a long journey, and if you're lucky, you'll get your answer sooner rather than later. So here's what I'm saying: your first job will probably suck. And it's okay.

You're probably doing everything right. You're listening, learning, doing what you're told, but it still doesn't seem like the job you want to do all your life. That's fine. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Just be open to change and opportunities around you. Understand your present workplace, your strengths and weaknesses, and take your time to decide what you want to do next in your life. I found that when I kept my mind open, the universe gave me opportunities that were in-line with my aspirations. What I had to do though, was know what my skills were and work hard to polish them.

3. Take control and discover yourself: I was interning at Google in my second year of college. You can imagine how cool it was. Google is great workplace, and I wish I had more perspective back then. I and two of my friends had been selected for the interview after a gruelling round of tests and interviews. It was unfortunate that I couldn't make the most of this opportunity because my mind was so stuck in 'college mode'. What did that mean? I had lacked focus. The internship was more about making friends and having a good time, and even as I confess to this now, I am embarrassing. I wish someone had told me to just focus.

So here's the thing, it is your career and no one else's. The successes are yours, and the failures too. And even though I have met some of my best friends at the workplace, I am wise enough to know that I am in charge of my career.

4. Find your mentor: They say marriages are made in heaven. When you find your mentor, you'll start believing there's more to this saying than it seems. Though I have used the word 'find' here, I don't think you can pro-actively go out there in search of your mentor. If you're capable of learning, your mentor will come find you. Sounds too cliche, doesn't it? Well, they're all cliches for a reason! I've had a mentor who probably doesn't even know she changed my life, so I don't believe it needs to be an 'exclusive' relationship. How do you know you've met the one? When a senior starts showing special interest in your career's growth and advancement, and you start to value their advice, you can change your relationship status to 'committed'. In this brutal corporate world (oh, how cynical I sound), it is a wonderful feeling to know that someone has your back, and so always remember to have theirs.

5. Be thankful: You'll change tens of jobs till you find one you'd like to stick to the rest of your life, and in this journey, it is easy to forget a lot of people and relationships. Always remember the ones who mattered the most. Especially your mentors who invested so much of themselves in your career. Remember them, stay in touch with them. Good teachers are hard to come by, and there is no really joy in growing without taking people with you. So be grateful, for the good, the bad and the ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO