VAIDS

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Where A Female Technology Leader Finds Peace And Quiet In New York City

In our Sanctuaries series, creative leaders and achievers reveal the special places where they go to think, relax and be inspired.


A graduate of Harvard University and Oxford University, Sarita James has always been a high achiever. But she also wanted to make a social impact in her professional life. Now CEO of Embark,
a technology company that helps fill seats at colleges and universities with students of diverse backgrounds, she helps students from all over the world access college education.
James’s experience working for McKinsey, Microsoft, Citigroup and the Small Business Association under the Obama administration has been influential on her strategy for Embark as she works toward taking the inefficiencies out of the college application process. Under her leadership, Embark made more than $3 million in revenue and processed 500,000-plus student applications last year.
With three young children at home and a husband who also works in the tech industry, she says finding time to reconnect and decompress is tricky, but she finds peace at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

Q. Why is the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so special to you?
James: The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is one of my favorite places to decompress. I was born in Brooklyn, and my parents took me to the garden as a baby. Now I return regularly for visits with my parents, my husband and our three small children. One of my college friends from our small band of female computer scientists at Harvard recently held her wedding in the garden, so I associate it with family, friends and natural beauty.

Q. What are your favorite spots in the garden?
James: The garden is a wonderful place for children to play. I love watching my boys run through the Bluebell Wood, which is planted with more than 45,000 Spanish bluebell flowers. My toddler daughter likes sitting near the water and watching the goldfish in the Lily Pool Terrace.
For my parents, the Tropical Pavilion is a nostalgic reminder of the plants they grew up with in South India. My husband is partial to the walkways of the Osborne Garden, where he can stare up at the wisteria as he walks under the pergolas. And I enjoy the delicate live sculpture of the potted trees at the Bonsai Museum, although I’ve never had the green thumb to keep a bonsai tree of my own alive.

When you get to the garden, what do you do first to decompress?
James: My husband and I both run tech companies, so much of our workdays can be very planned out. It’s a refreshing break coming to the garden and letting the kids decide, right then, where we are going and when we move on. We usually head to the garden right after breakfast on a weekend morning, get lunch at the cafe, and then head home for afternoon nap time — sometimes not just for the kids!
One thing I really like about the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is that they have put in the extra effort to welcome all visitors. There are free admissions hours, so everyone in the community can visit. There’s also a Fragrance Garden specifically designed for the sight-impaired that has plants with interesting textures to feel and unusual fragrances to smell.

Q. When was the last time you were there, and was there a particular reason you visited or spent time there?
James: Most recently we visited the weekend after the big Sakura Matsuri festival celebrating Japanese culture and the cherry blossoms. It might have seemed like an anticlimactic time to visit since the trees were quite bare. But flower petals covered much of the lawn under the cherry trees, and the kids stomped around in them as if they were this bright pink snow. Seasonal gardens remind me that, at any particular moment, there’s always something to savor.

Q. What’s the biggest creative breakthrough you’ve had at the garden?
James: I can’t claim to have had a creative breakthrough in the garden, but I can say I always come away from it refreshed. Outside of my tech work and family time, I enjoy writing personal essays. Sometimes the sights, sounds and smells of the garden bring back memories of quiet moments from years before that I then include in my stories.
Editor’s note: This interview has been edited and condensed.

To see more spaces where creative leaders go to find inspiration, visit Sanctuaries.

Abigail Bassett is a freelance journalist and editor-in-chief of the lifestyle and luxury site c-ntrl.com. She lives in Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO