VAIDS

Monday, August 14, 2017

THE 30 BILLION LIFESTYLE - DAVIDO

It’s always a hard task to get Davido to sit down for a chat since he is always on the road performing. 

This window of opportunity for a quick interview session came right before he was planning to leave for his sold out show in New York. 

I caught up with one of Africa’s biggest stars to find out about his latest collaborations and his foray into fashion.
It has been a good year so far...

Yeah, we thank God, it really has.



Could you share with me your top three highlights of this year so far?

Having my second child... I did the Wembley arena in London – that was nice… my tour...I don’t think I have [just] three, I have like ten. I mean, all the shows, of course. The success of everything I have done this year. I am really grateful.
 
With back-to-back hits and successful collaborations with Nigerian and International artists, tell me what has been your favourite collaboration till date.
I used to be really fond of collaborations. These days most of the songs I have put out have been solo because I feel like when I do something alone, I know what I want and it always comes out better. But recently I collaborated with Popcaan. He is a good friend of mine. That was fun and we just shot the video which will be out soon. We were meant to have dropped the song since last year but with all the Label clearing and lawyer dramas, it took longer than expected.

So which has been your favourite till date?
That I have done ever?

Yes, ever.
Err I think I always like working with Olamide, Money is one of my favourite collaborations with him. But more stuff coming so it’s kind of hard to say.
 
The R.Kelly remix – it sounded like R.Kelly gave his soul and spin to that song. It was more or less like a remake than a remix. How did that come about?
Apparently, he was recording in Atlanta. You know, African music dominates most clubs in Atlanta. He kept on going out and hearing the record. So he reached out to one of the DJs like, “Who sang that song?” They told him this kid from Nigeria, and that was the last I heard of it. 
I think one time I landed London, the DJ reached out to me to send him the beat and I did. Next day he was like, “Yo, check your email.” I didn't think he was gonna do it that quick. I checked the email and listened to it and I was like, “wow.” That was it. I spoke to him on the phone. He invited me to come out to his shows and stuff like that. It’s a great feeling ‘cos I grew up hearing his hits. My sisters and brothers grew up listening to R.Kelly so it’s a great feeling. That was nice.

Still on the whole collaboration topic, you are teaming up with Nigerian streetwear label Bearded Genius for merchandise, how did the idea come about?
I have always had people that draw me logos and ideas. Like I have had a chain made from a sketch someone did for me. I thought that was cool and I didn't know how to make that into a clothing line. [People have] made some fake ones, it’s all over the streets. But I couldn't find someone that would do it well untilI saw what Bearded Genius was doing. We were actually meant to have done this collaboration since but there was no avenue to put it out there. It was perfect timing this time around – the tour, the whole 30 billion, everything just came together. They showed me ideas and I loved it. From there it just went crazy. The demand right now is insane, like it’s crazy. I don’t think we made enough.

Where will the merchandise be available?
It will be available at all my forth coming shows. 

Finally, when should we expect another album?
Tomorrow!!!! Do you know, the album is ready? It’s actually in my car.
 
So what's stopping you from releasing it?
You have to understand, I am signed. I am not independent so I cannot wake up like: “Yo, I'm dropping the album.” But it’s looking like September. I think I will be dropping like 2 more songs and then we will be rounding off the tour, then promoting the album.
December, we will be having a massive show in Nigeria. The second show I will ever do in Nigeria. The first one was my album launch when I was 17. 

30 billion tour merchandise is now available for purchase on the bearded genius website. (www.beardedgenius.com)

Creative Direction and Styling; Bella Adeleke
Photography; Jay Olowu
Wardrobe; Bearded Genius
Interview; Bella Adeleke
Copy Editor; Yeni Adeyemo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO