VAIDS

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Life as a Nigerian student in the UK

Within the first few days of his or her arrival, a new Nigerian student schooling in the UK becomes popular. Olamide Waheed moved to the UK when she was 11 to continue her education. Not long, she became popular with her bald head, as the secondary school she was attending while in Nigeria mandated everyone to cut their hair. 
On her first day in school in the UK, everybody wanted to touch and feel her smooth shining head and before long, she got the nickname ‘the girl with the bald head.’ 

Her Nigerian accent also made it all more interesting; everyone laughed at her whenever she spoke, and she also managed to fake a smile when the white children spoke too, even though she didn’t understand what they were saying. 

It took her a few months to really catch up and understand her teachers, so initially, studying was hard for her. Soon she started making friends and now a university student; she couldn’t but ponder on the difference between the standard of education in UK and Nigeria.

In the UK, it is just as if you have all the resources you need to excel at your fingertips and examinations didn’t mean that you have to overwork yourself to pass, unlike it is in Nigeria, because a revision guide which reflects what to expect in the examination, would have been given. The libraries are filled with books, CDs, magazines, all arranged alphabetically, to ease researches for the students. And from the day you were admitted, you already know the exact date that you will graduate. 

“I just wish things would get better in Nigeria, because the truth is, we all really wish we could be at home with our friends and families,” she said.
For Bukola Adekola, when she was leaving Nigeria, she believed the sky was the limit to achieve all of her dreams, but later realised she guessed wrong, as being in the UK helped her become so more confident in herself, that her dreams and vision look so close to reach.

“I doubt you ever get lectures on fitting into a new place, but one thing my parents always told me was never to forget who I am and where I’m from. These words helped me through it all, despite being bullied for different reasons, from hairstyles, to dressing and accent. But in the face of giving up and asking my parents to take me back to where I belong, I found courage to help me through as I channelled the frustration, annoyance and pain into motivation, which inspired me to believe that with God, my dreams could be accomplished,” she said.
By Omoniyi Yinusa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO