VAIDS

Friday, September 22, 2017

Ivanka Trump speaking out to Dr. Oz about her experience with postpartum depression

The daughter and senior adviser of President Trump opened up about her bouts of postpartum depression on "The Dr. Oz Show" Thursday, detailing her symptoms and the effects it had on all aspects of her life. She said she lived through it after the births of each of her children: Arabella, 6, Joseph, 3, and Theodore, 1.



"With each of my three children, I had some level of postpartum depression," Trump told Dr. Mehmet Oz. "It was a very challenging, emotional time for me because I felt like I was not living up to my potential as a parent or as an entrepreneur and executive. I had had such easy pregnancies that in some way, the juxtaposition hit me even harder.
"Truthfully, I didn't know what I was experiencing. I just thought I was failing to be the best version of myself, and it was very hard."


And Trump's roller coaster of emotions is not uncommon.
"Women experience high levels of anxiety, it's the most prominent symptom and the most common," NYU Langone Health reproductive psychiatrist Dr. Marra Ackerman told the Daily News. "They're not necessarily sad but anxious and worried. Most new moms will feel that way and it might disrupt their sleep and inhibit them from enjoying time with their baby because they're nervous."
PPD affects about one in nine women, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease control. Although some progress has been made in developing an antidepressant that specifically targets the receptors in the brain that cause PPD, many women remain silent about their struggles. Trump, 35, joins Chrissy Teigen, Adele, Gwyneth Paltrow and Brooke Shields and other prominent women who have been vocal about the condition.
"It's incredibly important," Trump said. "Look, I consider myself a very hard-charging person. I am ambitious. I'm passionate. I'm driven, but this is something that affects parents all over the country. I believed that I had to get back (to work) earlier, and I put the pressure on myself to move forward, and I re-engaged too quickly. My body responded and reacted accordingly."

Nonetheless, it remains a topic that women still don't want to talk about or seek help for.
"There are medications (antidepressants), therapies, a combination of both can be highly effective," Dr. Ackerman told the News. "Often women with PPD need support from the people around them. It's such a shame that often, when women don't speak up, it reinforces the loneliness they feel."

Trump said she's speaking out now because her decisions "weigh much heavier" and are "impacting people's lives." She said that for her, meditation has helped alleviate her symptoms and "recharges" her.
"It's been enormously helpful to me," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Enter your Email Below To Get Quality Updates Directly Into Your Inbox FREE !!<|p>

Widget By

VAIDS

FORD FIGO